Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Arts in Anchorage

     I just arrived in Nome, but as promised, I just want to touch a little on the Anchorage arts and culture scene.  A lot of people in the Lower Forty-Eight have this image of Alaska, Anchorage included, that is full of hairy bearded men with badly tanned fur clothing, seal-eating Eskimos, and not much else.  Granted, there is some of that, especially in what Alaskans call the Bush, which really means anywhere not accessible by road.  However, the variety of cultures in Alaska contribute a lot to the arts here, and there's always something going on in Anchorage. 
     While I missed out on readings and other literary events (all happening before I got there or after I left), I did get to an art gallery opening and the Anchorage Museum, which currently exhibits Alaskan art, both old and modern.  





     I don't have any pictures from the museum, since photography is not allowed, but I will tell you it is worth seeing.  Anchorage also boasts an opera, a ballet, a symphony orchestra, and several theaters.  I was really looking forward to seeing the Anchorage Symphony, but my visit didn't coincide with one of their concerts.  Maybe next time. 
     Waiting for my flight to Nome I saw this somewhat incongruous sight:

     I really liked the dichotomy between the women at the ends of this photo, one traditional, one ultra-modern.  
     I'm looking forward to reporting on Nome in the coming weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment